Order of Protections

What Can an Order of Protection Do For You?​


There are four different types of orders issued by the court system.
These orders can assist with any of the following:​

The following list indicates behaviors that may lead to physical abuse/domestic violence in a relationship:

• Restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse

• Directing your abuser to leave the household

• Preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment

• Awarding you, or the other parent, custody of or visitation with your minor children

• Restraining your abuser from molesting or interfering with minor children in your custody

• A court order is strongly recommended to provide you greater protection, however police will arrest your abuser without a court order

• Call 9-1-1 immediately if you are being attacked



• Civil order available to anyone over the age of 16

• Must be a victim of physical harm OR be in fear of being physically harmed

• Victim must have a current or former relationship with the abuser such as a family or household member, dating or having a child in common

• Orders are available through District or Superior Court

• There is NO CHARGE for Domestic Violence Protection Orders. Other Protection Orders can be available through District or Superior Court at the Domestic Violence County Courthouse, 555 W. Harrison, Chicago.

• Your abuser will be notified of the order and will be subject to mandatory arrest for violating the order

• The order can be a “stand alone” order OR coupled with a No-Contact or Restraining Order

• The order will remain in effect until expiration (usually 1 year)

• YOU can choose to modify or drop the order by requesting changes in writing and appearing before the court

• YOU have choices about your level of protection in a Protection Order


• Criminal order pending a criminal action

• You can NOT obtain a No-Contact Order on you own. An incident must be reported to the police with criminal charges pending

• The Judge must issue this order pending the release of a defendant from the jail, at the time of arraignment and at sentencing

• Can be obtained through District or Superior Court for NO CHARGE

• Abuser is provided with a verbal and written notice at arraignment and sentencing

• A violation of the conditions subjects the abuser to mandatory arrest and additional criminal or contempt charges may also be filed

• Will be dropped if pending criminal charges are dismissed and the victim may not be notified

• Your petition may be denied to drop/modify the order

• You may NOT have a choice on the level of protection you are issued in a No-Contact Order


• Civil order that must be filed with another family law action (such as a dissolution or parenting plan)

• Can only be filed when the victim and abuser are married or have a child in common

• Can only be obtained in Superior Court

• Filing fees apply but can be waived if unable to pay

• Your abuser will be notified and subject to mandatory arrest or other charges if the list of criminal conditions in the order are violated

• You have minimal choices about your level of protection in a restraining order


• Civil order available to anyone who is seriously alarmed, annoyed or harassed by conduct which serves no legitimate purpose

• No relationships usually exist between parties

• Available through District Court with limited provisions for referring cases to Superior Court

• Filing fees apply but can be reduced or waived

• Violations can bring criminal or contempt charges

Important Phone Numbers to Call & Additional Resources are listed on our “Contact” Page.​

If you are in an abusive relationship, the most important thing to do is get out of the relationship. Doing so can save your life & your children’s lives. Nobody deserves to be abused in a relationship, and there are infrastructures put in place to help you leave an abusive situation.